Today there was a surprising bit of Pokémon animation news today. The Pokémon Company announced that they are airing an 8-episode miniseries in the vein of the Pokémon Generations, and Pokémon Twilight Wings, webseries. Pokémon Evolutions will feature stories focused around the main legendary Pokémon encounters from every generation so far. The episodes will start off with the Galar Region and travel back through the generations culminating with the Kanto region.
The episodes are set to be released globally on the Pokémon YouTube channel, and the Pokémon TV app starting with the debut episode on September 9th and new episodes airing biweekly until the finale on December 23rd. At this time it is unknown what the length of the episodes will be, but the Pokémon Company has posted the title and air date for each episode.
- September 9, 2021: “The Champion” featuring the Galar region
- September 23, 2021: “The Eclipse” featuring the Alola region
- October 7, 2021: “The Vision” featuring the Kalos region
- October 21, 2021: “The Plan” featuring the Unova region
- December 2, 2021: “The Rival” featuring the Sinnoh region
- December 9, 2021: “The Wish” featuring the Hoenn region
- December 16, 2021: “The Show” featuring the Johto region
- December 23, 2021: “The Quest” featuring the Kanto region
This new miniseries is exciting because it offers a great chance to experience the stories from the games once more with a new perspective. It also presents a chance to give a proper animated debut to many game story elements that ended up either poorly handled in, or dropped entirely from, the main Pokémon anime. It is possible that this new series, means that the Pokémon Company will continue the trend of making these extra animated series that serve to flesh out the Pokémon world both by going in-depth with the stories from the games, as well as by creating new original stories as they have with the PokéToons animated shorts that currently play exclusively on the Japanese Pokémon YouTube channel.